Thursday, June 7, 2012

OKC Thunder

As many of you know... I'm kiiiind of a big Thunder fan.

Since the Seattle Sonics moved to Oklahoma 3 seasons ago, my family has had season tickets Their first season they were 3-27. I'm not going to lie to you and say that I was crazy in love with them at that point, but I was still a fan and went to as many games as I could. After they received a new coach and started to turn that season around, I realized how much I really was falling in love with this team. The next season we continued to progress leading up to last seasons Western Conference Finals appearance. And now.... the Thunder are the 2012 Western Conference Champions and are headed to the NBA Finals.

Can you believe it?! 

This is the team I've met at the airport multiple times around 12-2am. I read their team blog by Royce Young every day like it's the newspaper. I follow all of their twitter accounts. I watched most of their games this season from my laptop at BYU, and have been lucky enough to go to some of the playoff games since being home. This is the team that has unified the OU/OSU division in Oklahoma. This team exemplifies everything this great state stands for, and has put us on the map for something besides OU football, the OKC Bombing and the "Oklahoma!" play from the 50's. Our players are some of the most hard working, resilient, and humble players in this league. One of my favorite things about this is that they are just such good guys. Every one of them. Sam Presti did a great job of building this team into something our state could be proud of, and I must say he did a fantastic job.

Last night's game is one I will remember for years. Down by 20 points in the 2nd quarter, but our team fought back. The entire arena was on its feet the 2nd half, trying to give this team the lift they needed to make a comeback. They did it. They won the game. I watched as Kevin Durant, hugged his mom and brother on the sidelines. I watched as the team hugged each other. I looked on, with tears in my eyes, as they lifted the trophy up for the world to see.





"It just had everything to do with who we are as men, who we are as a team, the type of spirit that we want to show every time down the court. It was all about that.. and about being a family." - Coach Scott Brooks.

Everyone.... Thunder Up and watch as this team wins the World Championship next week.



2 comments:

  1. Strangely, I'm like... pretty excited. For you, mostly, because I'm know this means a lot to you. But because of my connection through you, I sincerely hope they win. Who knows? I might even watch the finals ("Who are you and what have you don't with Anna?" ...I know, I know. Crazier things have happened... actually, probably not).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anna... all of those nights of listening to me cheer at my computer screen have led to this moment. And I would be so proud of you if you watched the Finals, even if it was just for a quarter! You can do it :)

      Delete