Tuesday, May 15, 2012

A Humbling Experience...

Today at work, I had some spare time to talk to Faye, one of my favorite residents. She told me a few things I don't think I'll ever forget.

As Faye sat in her wheelchair, in her half of the small room, she looked at me with a smile and said,
 "I believe I am the luckiest person alive."
I probably looked at her with a strange look, because she went on to say "You don't believe me do you?" She was right. I was thinking to myself, how are you lucky? You're confined to a wheelchair at a nursing home and spend the majority of your day solving word searches by yourself. 

I asked her how she was lucky. She laughed and said, "Look around! I have such a beautiful room. I love my bed. I love all of my [stuffed] animals. I get to sit here, and do my puzzles all day long. Not everyone still has the mind to do these things at 82 years old. Oh and do you see that window? What a beautiful window it is. I'm amazed every time I look out of it. I have such a great view. Earlier this morning, I looked out the window and said, 'Thank you, God. Thank you for giving me this window to look out everyday.' 
Don't you see Shelby? I've got the world by the tail!"

Sitting next to Faye, I was humbled and instantly filled with gratitude. I can do so many things that Faye can't; however, she's the one expressing an ample amount of gratitude. She realizes that it's a blessing to have certain things in your life, and she doesn't take a single one of them for granted.

In short... she's absolutely right. She is the lucky one.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! How sweet is that?! She is such an awesome example, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete