Friday, March 8, 2013

Lazily Focused.

I'm probably number 1 on the list of best procrastinators at BYU. I'm really good at it. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not.. but it doesn't change the fact that I procrastinate way too often. 

The real problem is.. it's all a mind game. Here's a peek into my mind:
  • I'll sit down and do the homework that is due the next day, have extra time to get ahead on other assignment, but I don't. Instead I reward myself for doing my homework, by..well, not doing anymore homework. 
  • I have a long list of things I want to do. Books to read and study, Spanish to learn, etc. However, when I do have free time... I decide to watch a movie, look up new music. I rationalize it to myself by saying, "You won't be able to do this for 18 months."
  • I'm really good at planning, but I'm even better at not doing things when I planned them. I ask myself, "Do I have to do this now?" No? Then I do it later.
  • Then there are the times someone comes and asks if I want to go out for ice cream, play a prank on someone, or watch a movie. Obviously all of those things are more fun than studying... so I go.
  • I'm very focused and determined when I have a deadline over me... but not a week in advance. That's just how I work.
Bottom line. I'm okay with procrastinating, as long as it gets done. I don't want to look back on my college years and wish I had had more fun. I'm never going to be the student that studies all day, every day. Maybe I'll regret it when I start applying to PA Schools in a few years, but as of now... I don't think I will. 


And yes. I am procrastinating right now.

1 comment:

  1. I know EXACTLY what you mean. I've had virtually no homework this week, but have tons of papers and tests coming up next week and the weeks following, yet somehow I've been able to rationalize things like watching 4 consecutive episodes of both the Brady Bunch and Full House this week. I mean, what? Anyway, you're really cool and I want to see you soon.

    ReplyDelete